I never really knew you could devote a whole day to kitchen work...nor did I think I would ever need to do that. But as I've added more to my workload in the kitchen, I've found a kitchen day very handy, and very necessary. I don't get everything done in there for the week....I wish....but it helps me get a jump start on the rest of week, and take care of things that I may only need to do once a week, as well as do some focused cleaning in there. Here's what our routines look like for Tuesday:
Morning
-Read Bible and pray
-Pack hubby's lunch, and fix his breakfast, if needed
-Make bed and straighten bedroom
-Yoga/stretching, get dressed, fix hair/face, and straighten bathroom
-Start kettle
-Start laundry, if needed (I usually wash kitchen towels on Tuesday)
-Take dog out and feed her
-Make breakfast and tea/coffee
-Wake kids
-Eat breakfast, drink tea/coffee, and take supplements
-Table time-Proverbs reading, character study, and memory work
-Table chores
-Prep food for lunch and dinner, if needed
-Kids do bedroom and bathroom chores
Daily Chores-to be done by 4pm
-Wash laundry, as needed
-Make bread, yogurt, ferments, meal prep, etc, as needed (I usually have to make bread more than once a week, but I try to make a big batch on Tuesday. The rest will depend on what I plan on us eating that week. I almost always make 3 quarts of yogurt and some granola each week. I also try to do any prep work that I can for the week, though I think I will move doing fruit/vegetable prep to my Town day as I'm putting the food away)
-Clean out refrigerator
-Clean and organize pantry and cabinets
-Wipe down counters, appliances, sink, and window
-Do necessary deep cleaning
-Check freezer, fridge, and pantry inventory
-Start weekly shopping list
-Sweep and mop kitchen floor
-Take out all trash/recycling/compost throughout the house (This is my oldest son's job. Trash day is Wednesday)
Homeschool-to be done by 4pm
-Reading, writing, and arithmetic with E7
-Reading-at least 1-2 hours a day (In addition to read alouds)
-Writing-copywork, dictation, and writing
-Arithmetic-Math on the level, 5-a-day, and new concept
-History/Bible
-Picture Study/Art
-Handicrafts
Noon Hour
-Lunch prep and eat
-Table chores
-Dinner prep, if needed
-Family read aloud
Afternoon Chores
-Kids do quick pick up in assigned rooms
-Tea time
-Finish up daily chores
-Finish up school work and put away for the day
-Go for a walk
-Start dinner
Dinner Hour
-Fix dinner-clean as you cook
-Dinner and family devotions
-Table chores
-Plan menu and prep food for the next day
Evening
-Family time
-Quick pick up in assigned rooms and bedrooms, if needed
-Kids bathe/shower, brush teeth, and get ready for bed
-Poetry and Psalm reading
-Kids in bed at 9pm, reading, lights out by 10pm
-Bathe/shower, brush teeth, and get ready for bed
-Free time-reading, watching tv/movie, spending time with hubby or working on a project
-Take dog out
-In bed by 10pm, reading, lights out by 11pm
One thing that's nice about my kitchen day, is I have a little window from my kitchen that overlooks our table where the kids work, so it's easy for me to be able to continue to work on school with them while I do various kitchen tasks. I've been trying to plan something to make with one or more of the kids each Tuesday to help work on math concepts while in the kitchen. They really enjoy that.
I usually end up mopping the kitchen floor again during the week, but I really get in there and scrub it good on Tuesdays. Again, just like the other days of the week, I pull one or more of the kids in to help me as needed, depending on what they're doing. On table chores, I've tried to divide things up amongst the kids and I, so that we can quickly get things cleaned up after meals each day. Right now, I have my oldest son N12 is responsible for helping clear the table, scraping plates, sweeping once a day under the table, and taking care of all trash/recycling/compost. My daughter, M10 is my main helper in kitchen work, and helps me with getting the dishes done. My next daughter E7, also helps me regularly in the kitchen, helps set the table, and helps with the dishes. Our little guy, J4, tags along, and helps his big brother, and sometimes his sisters. We try to include him in something after each meal.
I'm going to be trying to work on filling our freezer up a little each week to make meals after baby a lot easier. I'm also working on training my kids, especially my girls on how to do more independant cooking to help out when I need them. I saw an idea recently where a mom let her older kids have one day a week that they get to plan and prepare the entire meal. I would love to start that!
Just like our laundry day, the kitchen day is when I really want to get in there and get some focused cleaning and organizing done. My kitchen is not nearly as chaotic as some of the other areas of my home is, but anything in there that I can do to make my work more efficient, the better.
Blessings,
sara
No comments:
Post a Comment