Thursday, August 1, 2013

Unit Studies Made Easy Review


A few weeks ago, I made a feeble attempt at starting school with my kids.....and found after the first few days, that we were quickly floundering under the stress and disorganization of what I was trying to do. I couldn't really figure out what was wrong, but realized, I just wasn't quite ready to start school with a newborn in tow just yet, so we took a step back, and I realized that one of our biggest issues is our struggle with following and sticking with a good routine, and my kids (and mine in some things) lack of knowledge about properly keeping our home as we should. I didn't know what to do with that just yet, but just resigned myself to take it slow, and thought that maybe it would help if we planned a yard sale to get rid of some our clutter. We've spent the last couple of weeks going through and doing quite a bit of decluttering throughout the house, and will be having a big yard sale this coming Saturday. 

While working on decluttering, however, I started searching around the internet for some ideas and encouragement regarding homeschooling. I was considering trying another pre-planned unit study, something like KONOS, because I just didn't think I could pull together something myself in any sort of organized fashion....I was doing some research on these types of curriculum, and feeling discouraged, because our track record with these types of units have not gone over well with us in the past. I always feel too tied down, or get overwhelmed with all the projects and crafts. Well, a few nights ago, I stumbled upon a book I had heard of before, but for some reason dismissed. The book was Unit Studies Made Easy by Valerie Bendt....I looked through the previews, and thought, why not...what else do I have to lose. 

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! This large collection is full of so much great wisdom, and I repeatedly found myself physically nodding in agreement, and thinking, that's exactly what I've been wanting to do! She takes my whole thoughts on this method of homeschooling and puts it into a practical easy to do way! She covers so much information in this more than 300 page book! 

Some of the things I've found wonderful are:

-Practical tips for pulling together your own unit studies
-She references my two favorite homeschool authors often....Ruth Beechick and Charlotte Mason
-How to use your library for doing units, including how to find appropriate poetry, art, or music to go along with your unit
-Including Biblical principles in your unit
-The importance of copywork and dictation
-Lots of ideas for unit studies and things to include
-There is a section on teaching reading that I have gotten many ideas from as well
-She talks about the importance of routines, but with flexibility


As far as negatives...the only thing I felt was really missing was I wanted to read more about how she incorporated writing into her units. Though she does give many suggestions! 

I'm super excited about our upcoming unit that I've already started planning, and you'll see that it's a bit outside the box for a unit study, but one that I know our family will greatly benefit from! 

If you're looking for a way to put together your own homeschool curriculum so that you can do what you know is best for your family, and save money while doing it, this is a great book! It's the perfect book for a mom who is looking to homeschool her large (or small) family using a relaxed, family oriented, unit study! It's not going to be for moms who need the step by steps of homeschooling completely laid out for you, but there is still so much information to glean from it, that I think anyone can benefit from reading this book! 

Blessings, 
sara

No comments: